Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ozark Trip

Well, we had an interesting weekend. Just to get away we went to Arkansas. We visited 3 different parks.
1. Daisy State Park- we WON'T be camping there. Although quite beautiful, (pines, clean, perfect weather) the camp is located on a steep ridge extending into the lake.. with the narrow road on top. You would have to carry down all your camping equiptment and then lug it all the way back up. Campsites were near the lake but, na-da. One look at the ramp where you launch your boat blew me away. The steepness of it scared me WITLESS! I was climbing the cab of the truck. Get me outta here! I wondered how many boats, trailers, and trucks were at the bottom of that lake.
2. Shady Lake State Park. Okay, nice campsites, bathhouses. Didn't see a whole lot, I was driving. Shady is right. The down side was there is a 3 mile drive from paved road and it's only one lane. It is graded so that if you meet someone coming the other way, your in real trouble, and yes is is in the Ozark mountians, steep sides. A little freaky for a flatlander.
3. Albert's Pike- Holy Moly, I've hit the motherload. It's magnificent! A little piece of Utah. Exposed rock cliffs and all. A moment of silence, please.... After a lovely ride through the canyon walls , outside of Langly, AR. I just had to soak it in. I had heard it was pretty, but I didn't expect this calm, peaceful feeling. I could have stayed there 2 weeks. That's the amount you are allowed to stay at a time. I wonder how many people they have to throw out.

We also visited "Crater of Diamonds" State Park. The only park you can pay a fee and go in and dig for diamond to your hearts content. They have a nice visitor's center and a water slide area for the kids. Inside, you can buy all kinds of rocks (again, I'm in heaven) or tee shirts or jewelry. They have movies that explain how to sift the dirt and equiptment to buy. We drove down the road a bit to a rock shop, looking for better prices, and a lady working there told us about her grandpa. He worked the mines 50 years ago for the family that owned the land. She had found a huge diamond of good quality years ago. They have recently graded the hillside and now the diamonds are suppose to be easier to fine. (Rather than a bunch of pock marks in the dirt.) maybe we'll go there if we ever have visitors who like camping.

But we are home, cleaning, washing clothes, and preparing for work in the morning. All good things must come to an end.

No comments: